As you’re hunting for the perfect gifts for graduates, keep in mind how you can celebrate their accomplishments while helping them continue or establish a healthy lifestyle even as they begin new educational or professional adventures.
Graduation Gifts for Healthy Habits
“Think of what they enjoy and how you could enhance that to be a healthy habit,” suggests Michelle Grove, a registered dietician at Walla Walla General Hospital. “For example, if your grad loves sweet treats, give them healthy baking recipe books and sign them up for a baking class.”
Whether your graduates are heading to college or a new career, they may not be able to afford to try some healthy additions to their new lifestyle.
You can help by purchasing health-inspiring gifts that also keep convenience in mind. Some possibilities include:
- Gift cards: Available in almost any amount, gift cards to a favorite natural grocer, farmer’s market or healthy restaurant can help new grads enjoy healthy food while still sticking to their budget.
- Subscription services: A few months of healthy food delivery can start the new grad off right. Options include meal boxes like HelloFresh, which bring healthy, fresh ingredients to the graduate’s door. There are also community-supported agriculture shares, which offer produce directly from a local farmer.
- Blender or juicer: These compact appliances help busy graduates get great nutrition on the go—“one of my favorite ways to incorporate fruits and veggies into my daily routine,” says Grove.
- Gym membership or fitness classes: Having easy access to exercise regardless of the weather helps new grads stay fit. You can also purchase specialty fitness classes like Zumba or yoga, which offer a fun way to exercise and meet new people.
- Cookbooks or classes: These can be especially helpful for graduates who are cooking for themselves for the first time. Guys who appreciate simple yet healthy meals might especially enjoy A Man, A Can, A Plan by David Joachim, suggests Grove.
- Workout and outdoor gear: Sporting goods stores are full of all kinds of great gear for an active lifestyle. You could get your graduate an activity tracker like a FitBit or Vivofit for daily use or clothing for the gym or favorite activity. Most stores also offer outdoor gear like tents, trekking poles and daypacks.
- Water bottles: Whether for work or play, reusable water bottles like a Hydro Flask (a favorite among Walla Walla General Hospital leaders!) make affordable gifts that promote healthy hydration. They come in a range of sizes, materials and styles—from classic handheld styles to flexible pouches that slip easily into backpacks.
Inspiring Gift Ideas
As you can see, the list could go on and on. These are just ideas for inspiration. The main point is to think outside the gift box and focus on ways to help your favorite graduate start a new life path that includes a healthy lifestyle.
Do you have a great idea for a health-inspiring graduation gift? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
Author: LivingWell PDX Blog
Adventist Health is committed to creating a healthier Portland community.