Summer is in full swing and now is the time to head out of Portland with the family for a summer vacation. Family trips to the Oregon coast, California Redwoods or Yellowstone are fun, family-friendly destinations right here in the west. Before loading up your camping gear or setting out for the family cabin, here are 15 simple tips from Adventist Health to keep your family safe and healthy this summer. Happy traveling!
- Drink enough water to stay hydrated
- Keep healthy snacks on hand in case you or your family members get hungry
- Plan to stop at rest areas and take turns driving if it’s a long trip
- Pack and clearly label medications you use regularly
- Bring a spare set of contacts or eyeglasses
- Keep medications and eyeglasses in carry-on luggage when flying
- Wear a medical alert bracelet to let others know about allergies or health needs in emergency situations
- Pack an EpiPen if you have severe allergies
- Carry family insurance cards with you
- Wear broad spectrum sunscreen (at least SPF 15, and preferably SPF 30)
- Wear fitted, approved life vests when you’re on or near the water
- Pack insect repellent to avoid pesky mosquitos and other bugs
- Bring a stocked first-aid kit that includes antiseptic wipes, hydrogen peroxide, bandages, burn relief gels or packs, tweezers, calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream, cold medications, ibuprofen/aspirin, antacids and other pain relief aids
- If your child is on a trip without you, send a medical authorization or emergency release form with family or friends with whom your child may be traveling
- Pack enough food and fresh water for your four-legged, furry family members this summer to ensure they stay happy and healthy during the trip
If you or anyone in your family has special health needs then be sure to consult your primary care provider for personalized travel advice.
Author: LivingWell PDX Blog
Adventist Health is committed to creating a healthier Portland community.